Friday, February 24, 2006

grown-up voice...

i didn't have a very good grown-up voice -- no angry, booming coming from my little 5' teacher body...until this semester.
i chose to teach high school because, quite frankly, large groups of small children annoy me. i have one class, however, that makes me wonder if large groups of high school students are really much different from kindergarteners. they push; they throw things at one another; they tattle. they're like six-year-olds only bigger...and louder.
this class has forced me to acquire a grown-up voice. it's not so much booming, but an angry bark and growl, depending on how pissed off they make me. i can now stop them in whatever they're doing, and they get silent and look at me...some of them as if they might wet their pants. good. that's what they get for making me that mad.
today two boys got into a punching/elbowing match right by my desk...as if that won't piss me off real quick-like. these two boys are now on their final warning...next time they even walk the wrong way, i'm writing them up....and they know it. we'll see how long it takes them to forget it...i'll be right there waiting with a write-up slip.

No comments: